Where to Register a Death

Appointments must be made at the Registrar’s office of the district where the death occurred.

Appointments may be made at:

  • High Peak Registrars Buxton

    Town Hall
    Market Place
    SK17 6DZ
    Tel. 01629 535075

  • High Peak Registrars Glossop

    Municipal Buildings
    SK13 8AF
    Tel. 01629 531503

  • Macclesfield Registration Office

    Town Hall Extension
    Market Place
    SK10 1EA
    Tel. 0300 1235019

  • Stockport Registrars

    Stockport Town Hall
    John Street Entrance
    SK1 3XE
    Tel. 0161 217 6007

The Registrar will require the following information before they can register a death

  • Full name and home address of the deceased
  • Date and place of birth
  • Date and place of death
  • Last occupation
  • Marital status
  • If there is a widow or widower, they will want to know their full name, address and last occupation.

The Registrar will issue you with a green certificate which needs to be delivered to us as soon as possible. They will also issue you with a “Notification of Death” form, which you will need to fill in and send to the Department of Work and Pensions. For a small charge, the Registrar will issue “Copies of the Entry”, (copies of the death certificate). These will be required by banks, insurance companies, private pensions and the Probate Office.

Registrar's 'Tell us Once' Service

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go. Your local registrar will have given you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone. You’ll need the deceased’s:

  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licnce number
  • Passport number
  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
  • Details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
  • Name and address of their next of kin
  • Name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

'Tell us Once' will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
Share This
Scroll to Top